Saturday, May 15, 2010

Cashew Alfredo Sauce

I love Alfredo Sauce but feel guilty every time I make it for my family because of all of the saturated fats and lack of health benefits in it. In my quest for cooking more healthy lately I came across a Cashew Alfredo Sauce recipe that turned out so yummy! Plus, it is good for you!


1 cup of raw cashews

2 1/2 cups of warm water

olive oil

1/2 tablespoon of minced garlic (I love garlic so next time I would use a little more)

salt and pepper to taste

(I would add some finely chopped onion next time too)


1 tsp. lemon juice

1/2 cup of grated Parmesan

18 ounces of pasta

parsley to garnish (optional)


In a blender of food processor, pulse the cashews until they make a paste slowly add the water.


In a sauce pan heat a couple tablespoon of olive oil and saute the garlic (this is where I would add the onion). Heat on medium until it starts to brown then add your cashew mixture, stirring and scraping at the sides until it boils and thickens. Remove from heat, adding the salt and pepper and the Parmesan cheese and stir until melted. If it is too thick add more water.


Add to your choice of cooked pasta and garnish with fresh parsley.


This is a great base for your creativity. Add cooked chicken, artichokes, sun dried tomatoes, fresh diced tomatoes, mushrooms, red bell peppers....anything you like. Also makes a great pizza sauce.

1 comment:

The Cook Clan said...

Thanks Danica! Sounds yummy! We'll have to try it out.